** Updated 18-May **
Some videos have been added today (refresh https://scicast.org/dicty), so I took a second look. I don’t look through microscopes for a living, so this isn’t final. Times below are the timestamped clock time, which elapses at about 8m per frame. I collected:
- TeamNum: Team
name number stated in the video title
- TeamName: Team name and/or PI name(s)
- t_First: time when the first cell entered the finish zone. There is some ambiguity for cells that hang out on the opening.
- Num_3hr: #cells in the finish zone by the 3hr mark; not sure how Irimia is counting cells that leave after entering
- Num_5hr: #cells in the finish zone by the 5hr mark (only 4 videos)
- Notes: salient notes, in quotes
Often there were two mazes and finish lines visible. In these cases I tried to count both finish lines. I’m not sure that’s canonical. Here are the results as I saw them (Changed format to avoid margin clipping; sorted by Num_3hr):
Team 12,Kortholt,1:36,14,,”3 in at 1:36,4 @ 1:40,at least 14 at 3h”
Team 11,Faix,1:28,12,,3 in @ 1:36; I counted at least 12 entering by 3h
Control HL60,,1:42,9,,9+. I can’t get it to hold the last frame to count.
Team 9 HL60,Insall,2:14,5,,5+. Many cells got bored and went back into the maze.
Team 17,Kimmel,1:36,5,,5+. Can’t hold the last frame.
Caffeine Control,,1:56,4,,Last one just in time.
Race2Control,,2:15,2,5,”Lots of cells,lots of movement,esp. outside the maze.”
Racer X Neutrophils,,2:25,2,,Cell entering 2:25 jumps track next frame 2:30. Entered?
Team1,Strassman & Queller,2:38,1.5,3,Video starts at 1:30; 2nd cell just crossing at 3:00
Team 9,Insall,,0,0,”Video starts at 1:30; hard to see,but cells appear disorganized.”
Team18,Kay,4:07,0,1,Cells outside the maze are much faster!
Team5 HL60,Steinckwich-Besancon,,0,,”Only 5-6 cells visible,hardly moving.”
Team 19 HL60,Tschirhart,,0,,17 cells idly drifting around the mazes.
Team 7,Bruce,,0,,Halfway through the maze at 3h.
Team 10,Beta,,0,,No cells visible on the slide.
Team 20,Devreotes,,0,,Only 1 confused cell. Did preliminary videos have the wrong label?
Team 9,Insall,,0,,About halfway through at 3h.
Team 15,Myre,,0,,About halfway through at 3h.
Team14,Muller-Taubenberger,,,,Irimia says cells did not get to the starting line.
So, likely winners:
- Overall winner (most finishers at 3h): Team 12 (Kortholt) with 14+ cells. We had an email from Irimia mid-afternoon saying at that point they also thought 12 was the most likely. Second place is probably Team 11 (Faix) with 12+ cells in. Third is likely to be either the HL60 line from Team 9 (Insall), or Team 17 (Kimmel), both with at least 5 cells in by 3hr.
- Fastest: Team 11 (Faix) just edges out Teams 12 (Kortholt) and 17 (Kimmel) for the fastest single cell at 1:28. This may turn on the precise definition of finish line.
- Smartest: Sorry, I don’t have the patience to count wrong turns.
Notes: Neutrophils need to be photographed more often — the fastest ones are simply sprinting too fast to uniquely infer motion between frames.
You can still edit the Fastest and Smartest questions. Until Irimia announces the winners anyway. https://scicast.org/dicty.